CLICK HERE FOR BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND MYSPACE LAYOUTS »

Monday, December 8, 2008

Talking Point #7

Title and Authors Name
"One More River to Cross" Recognizing the Real Injury in Brown: A prerequisite to Shaping New Remedies by Charles Lawrence

Authors Argument
The author argues that African Americans were extremely affected by segregation. Because of this segregation African American students felt inferior.

Quotes
1) "The first is that segregation's only purpose is to label or define blacks as inferior and thus exclude them from full and equal participation in society."

This quote explains the argument that Lawrence is making throughout his whole article. Because of segregation blacks are seen as inferior to white men. And because of the inferiority blacks cant do certain things that white men do.

2) "The third is that the institution of segregation is organic and self-perpetuating. Once established it will not be eliminated by mere removal of public sanction but must be affirmatively destroyed."

This quote is saying that segregation cannot be stopped on its own. Once segregation is established, you cannot just get rid of it. You cant just say "segregation is over". It must be taken care of and destroyed, in order to get rid of it.

3) "It could be argued that the Northern and Southern cases are distinguishable on the basis of state action; in the South, state action is present because state laws required the operation of dual school systems, while in the North, state action is absent because segregated schools occurred as the result of segregated housing patterns. This distinction, however, neglects the entire history of segregation in America....Segregation is Northern, not Southern, in origin. The exclusion or segregation of blacks in public facilities was settled policy and reached considerable maturity in the North before moving South in full force."

After i read this part of the article I was a little shocked. I had no idea that segregation started in the North. While in school i always remember learning about segregation and how it was in the South. I probably learned at some point that segregation started in the North but I cant remember at all learning that. Because there was segregation in schools between whites and blacks there was also segregation in housing. I thought this quote was really interesting to learn about.

Comments
This article was not my favorite. I felt like it was a struggle to read. I thought some of the information was interesting, for example the part where it said that segregation started in the North. I was taught my whole life about discrimination, racism, segregation etc and i remember the south having to do with those

0 comments: